Skip to main content

Air Quality Burn Permit Information

Air quality burn permits can be purchased or renewed online via the NCUAQMD Online Burn Permit Portal.

To renew your burn permit by mail, please fill out the appropriate application and send this along with a check or money order with the appropriate fee. You may also stop by the District office and pay for and obtain the permit.

Applications can be submitted online and can be paid by Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and debit cards. A valid burn permit will then be emailed to you. Mailed applications must be accompanied with payment by check or money order payable to "AQMD". Burn permit applications can also be obtained (not issued) through participating local fire protection agencies and CAL FIRE stations.

Air quality burn permits can also be obtained at our office at 707 L Street, Eureka, District staff is available Monday - Friday from 9:00a.m.-12:00p.m. and from 1:00p.m. - 4:00p.m.

Burn day status (i.e Burn Days) are determined by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) on a daily basis. Inversion layer and wind direction are just some of the factors that are used in determining burn day status. Automated burn day status information can be obtained by calling (707) 443-7665 or toll free by dialing 866-287-6329 (866-BURNDAY). Prior to calling the toll free number, determine your burn zone by referring to your burn permit. There are three different zones in the tri-county areas they are as follows:

  • Coastal Zone 1
  • Inland Zone 2 below 2,000 feet elevation
  • Inland Zone 3 above 2,000 feet elevation

Under agreement with CAL FIRE and local fire districts since 2004, the NCUAQMD assumed primary responsibility for the issuance of both Agricultural and Residential burn permits. During declared fire season, additional permits (LE-5, etc.) are required by CAL FIRE. Of the fees collected, $3 of every Standard Burn Permit goes back to local and volunteer fire districts.

Possession of a valid burn permit is mandatory when burning dry natural vegetation outdoors for the purpose of disposal. NCUAQMD burn permits are not required for small recreational or ceremonial campfires.

Approved Combustibles

Approved combustibles are materials that are legal to be burned. Such material shall include only dry natural vegetation grown on the premises that is reasonably free of dirt, soil and visible surface moisture.

Non-approved Combustibles

Non-approved combustibles are materials that are illegal to be burned. Such material shall include, but are not necessarily limited to:

  • petroleum products, petroleum waste, coated wire, putrescent waste, tires, tar, tar paper, non-natural wood waste, processed or treated wood and wood products, metals, motor vehicle bodies and parts, rubber, synthetics, plastics, including plastic film, twine and pipe, fiberglass, Styrofoam, garbage, trash, refuse, rubbish, disposable diapers, ashes, glass, industrial waste, manufactured products, equipment, instruments, utensils, appliances, furniture, cloth, rags, paper or paper products, cardboard, boxes, crates, excelsior, offal, swill, carcass of dead animals, manure, human or animal parts or waste (including blood and fecal material and food containing material), asbestos shingles, floor tiles, and other similar smoke producing materials and poison oak.

(What not to burn: Non - approved material shown above)

If you have additional questions or require further assistance, staff are available to assist you at (707) 443-3093 or