Skip to main content

Non-Standard Burn Permits

Get your Non-Standard Burn Permit Online:

Non-Standard Burn Permit Application and Fees

Burn Permit Fees are dependent on project size and based on the amount of vegetation burned as follows (see District Rule 408):

  • $40 - for material removed from less than 1 acre in size
  • $80 - for material removed from 1-10 acres in size
  • $250 - for material removed from 10-100 acres in size
  • $500 - for material removed from 100-300 acres in size
  • $1,250.00 for greater than 300 acres in size
May contain: fire, bonfire, and flame

A typical Non-Standard Burn Permit allows the burning of one (1) 10-foot diameter burn pile at a time on a 1-acre property, unless otherwise approved for larger burns (1-10 acres+), multiple piles, or other types of burning such as property development, hazard reduction, prescribed burns, etc. Burn hours are 6:00 a.m. until one hour before sunset on Permissive Burn Days only - call 866-287-6329 (1-866-BURNDAY) to determine Burn Day status. Some Non-Standard permits may also require the responsible party to obtain a Burn Authorization Number from the District prior to ignition.

Depending on the type of burn or burn project, a Smoke Managment Plan may also be required for larger pile sizes, multiple piles, or other large projects. Please contact District Staff for assistance.

Non-Standard Burn Permit holders in State Responsibility Areas (SRA's) are to obtain a CAL FIRE LE-5 Permit as of May 1st of every year from the local CAL FIRE or Forest Service Office. These permits are required until the end of Fire Season is declared by CAL FIRE. Please contact your local CAL FIRE Office or U.S. Forest Service Office for how to obtain Permit.

A valid burn permit can be obtained at the District office (Monday- Friday from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 and from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.) at 707 L Street, Eureka, CA 95501, or by downloading the application and mailing your application along with a check or money order payable to the AQMD. Burn permit application forms can also be found (not issued) at participating local fire protection agencies and CDF fire stations.

If you have additional questions or require further assistance, staff are available to assist you at (707) 443-3093 or